Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit (CF440) Orthotics 



So, I have used inserts before.  I was diagnosed with ‘fallen’ arches shortly after my separation from the military.  I found that my feet were constantly hurting after a day at work, or even walking through a grocery store. 

Initially I tried several different brands of inserts, all of different styles.  I even had an expensive custom insert made by stepping in a box with a special material that molded around my foot.  They only last approximately one year before another pair is needed…and at well over $100 a pop, it can be somewhat cost prohibitive since you were not supposed to place these in multiple shoes ( I only assume that was because not all shoes are created equally).  My insurance paid for one pair, I had to pay for the other (work shoes, recreation shoes).  They worked and made my feet feel better. 

Then I changed employment and the insurance no longer covered the inserts.  So I went back to trying to find OTC inserts.  Ironically enough I settled on some of Dr. Scholl’s arch support inserts.

Figure 1 Somewhat used inserts from Dr. Scholl

Those seemed to work fairly well, except that if I had to walk long periods at once, my feet would begin to cramp.  That has been the only downside to those inserts to date.  Especially since, in an effort to get back into some semblance of shape, I have taken up walking.  My threshold has been no more than 4 miles in one stretch before my feet cramp up.  Plus, once they begin to cramp, my feet have a sprained feel for the next several days.  It is very frustrating to be trying to better myself and hitting a ‘wall’.

Now I get to try these custom fit (CF) orthotics from Dr. Scholl’s.  Now first off, the price is a bit daunting still, but at an average of $50 each, it is much better than $100+.  I have been wearing these for about 2 weeks now with no real issues or complaints.  I have not had the opportunity to go for a long walk yet, that will come in a few days.  However, while on a recent business trip I did have to do a lot of walking around.  I have been averaging about 11,000 steps a day for 6 days during that trip, and other than regular fatigue from the day’s events, my feet did not have that ache I experienced from the other orthotic inserts I had been using.


Figure 2  Unwrapping my Joyful gift!

 

That is not to say that my feet do not feel tired at the end of the day, but then again, these inserts are currently in my dress shoes and I have yet to meet a pair of professional dress shoes that have been comfortable for 12+ hours of continuous wear.  I do not wake up with achy feet though, which in my opinion is a blessing!

I do look forward to my next 4+ mile excursion.  I want to push myself and I do not want achy feet to be the reason I cannot meet any of my self-made goals. 

So far, the Dr. Scholl’s Custom Fit Orthotics (CF440) have been a miracle for my feet and I have no negatives to make about the product.  Even the price, which might be hard to swallow initially, is very reasonable when compared to the custom fit offered by chiropractors and medical centers.  Add in the free equipment use at many major retailers to find your perfect fit, and you are definitely coming out on top!  I am curious to see if my need in orthotics change as I continually wear these. 

The only improvement to the product that I could think of would to be to include a small piece of reusable tape on the heel of the insert.  This would prevent the ‘sliding’ of the orthotic through your shoe as you walk, jog, or run. 

My wife has a pair of the Dr. Sholl’s inserts for heels and they include a patch of tape.  That tape makes it the most convenient for using in shoes.  In the past I have used a small piece of duct tape that I had just made a loop with. 

Other than that one thing, Dr. Scholl’s seem to have come out with the perfect product with Custom Fit Orthotic line.  The coupons I have received has been passed out, and used by several of my co-workers (including some of the Nuns that work in my facility)!  The initial investment may be steep, but it is an investment for your feet and overall health by helping with foot pain and posture!

I have found my GoTo Orthotics!

No comments:

Post a Comment