Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Fusion ProGlide With FlexBall Shave #2 and #3

So, over the past 4 days I have had two more opportunities to try out the ProGlide with FlexBall. 

At this point I feel that that FlexBall version is not much of an improvement other than getting some of the harder to reach areas.  This morning's shave required considerably more pressure to get a good "one swipe" cut than previous shaves.

Now it may just be me, but I am normally able to make a razor cartridge last at the very least 5 shaves.  Even in the military, when I shaved every day, I would go through a single cartridge an average every week.  So I am sure you can imagine my disappointment at the feeling that this blade is going to need replaced already.

My reasoning is such, if a 2 or 3 blade cartridge can last a week, why would adding more blades shorten the cartridge life.  When the Fusion first came out, I received one in a Christmas gift basket.  That blade lasted me over a week before the nicks and bumps started showing up.  Why the change?

Regardless, after a hot shower, I decided to do shave #2 in the sink as opposed to in the shower.  The shave was a little rougher than the first time, though I was not expecting a "hot-knife-through-butter" experience after the first use. 

Again, the shave was relatively comfortable.  Just from the feel of the shave I did not expect to see any "angry" looking areas on my face or neck.  Plus, while I was shaving and running my fingers over the freshly cut areas, they felt smooth.  You can tell from the pictures there was still some longer stubble areas...this confuses me.  But as it is not visible, I did not let it ruin the experience. 

After rinsing off the remaining shaving gel, I was again greeted by the raised areas of skin on my neck:

 
 
Now even though there were the areas that look like razor burn, they did not, in fact, burn.  I applied my balm afterwards and there was no burning or tingling sensation.  That is good at least. 
 
 
Another thing I noticed, right before I shaved, was that the strip looked like it was falling apart - after only just one shave!  Now don't get me wrong, it still seemed to be doing its job, even leaving sticky residual strings as I lifted the razor away.

 
 
The next morning, after shave 2 and 3, I did not have razor burn as I expected.  So far, the after effects of the shave are not unpleasant.  I am a touch disappointed in the performance of the razor (except for the ability to get that location just to the sides of the Adam's apple), especially with the life of the blade so far.


Does this mean that this new blade from Gillette is now inferior to other blades?  I am not ready to make that call yet.  My next shave I will replace the cartridge and try again with a fresh perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment