Saturday, May 24, 2014

Gillette Fusion Proglide with Flexball

So, I tried this new razor out by Gillette, the Fusion Proglide with a Flexball -presumably to allow for smoother tracking over the contour of my face.  Let me preface this by saying, I am a fan of Gillette, have been since I was in the military and they came out with the Sensor and Sensor Excel.



I am comparing this shave with the Gillette to my current blade, The Caveman  from Shavemob (6 blades).  Now, I was not knocked head over heels with my Shavemob razor, but it beat the Gillette disposables I was using for a fraction of the cost.


Another factor I include when I compare my razor blades is how it affects my skin.  I have "sensitive" skin due to a condition known as Psoriasis.  Yes, I also have the Psoriatic Arthritis touted by Phil on TV.  Fortunately, I no longer have any scaly patches on my face, though my skin is very easily irritated.  I'll show that in a bit.

On with my review...

I had a few days growth on my face, mainly because I spread my shaves apart as far as possibly because of constant skin irritations.  So with this new razor, I decided to shave while in the shower.  I lathered up, using Nivea 3-1 Men's Wash for Sensitive skin, and allowed the suds to soak on my face while I washed my hair and the rest of me.  A good few minutes at least.

I then rinsed off the soap and applied some Gillette Fusion Shave Gel and massaged that into my stubble.  I then began to shave.

Since I did have a few days growth, I shaved in a two staged approach.  First pass, I shaved with the grain.  This of course makes the hairs shorter, and easier to get when I make my second pass.  After my first pass, I re-rinsed my face, and applied some more gel.  This time around, I shaved against the grain.

First thing I noticed during my first pass was the ease in which the Gillette cut through the hairs.  The remaining stubble felt shorter than when I do my first pass with the Shavemob razor.  If I was in a rush in the morning, I probably could have gotten by with just that one pass -even though I did not have smooth as a baby's ...you know...feeling.

During my second pass, I let the razor do the work.  I do not apply pressure to my razors unless I have to (skin irritation remember?).  The razor, to sound obvious, glided over my skin even against the grain.  It did remarkably well in the little areas right around my adam's apple, requiring only one stroke of the razor to get each of these trouble areas for me.

By the time I was done with my shave, I thought it was a rather pleasant shave.  I didn't feel any irritation with the actual shave itself, that is until I rinsed the remaining gel/foam off my face.  Then I was a bit disheartened.  I patted my face dry and went to look in a mirror.  What I saw was the same irritation that the majority of razors gave me:

So I applied my Nivea After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin and let my face breathe.  As bad as the irritation looked, I did not get the expected razor burn I had grown accustomed to having.  My skin seemed to have recovered nicely.

I'm not yet ready to pass judgement on the Gillette Fusion Proglide as this was just one shave.  I will post an update after my next shave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment